RtpBridge as a Transcoding Accelerator
With the RtpBridge it is very simple to perform the transcoding operations between a multiple audio/video formats using the RTP as a transport. Such solution could be essential for the SoftSwitch servers to offload the MIPS-reach transcoding tasks, also it is possible to add support some many customized settings of the codecs.
How it works?
Using the RtpBridge as an accelerator enables to off-load servers and to move the transcoding tasks on Alvis-CSI provided with powerful DSP C64x+ core/(s) easting 0% ARM GPP CPU running linux.
This approach also enables to get all the advantages of easy system scaling. In any moment it is possible to increase the number of Alvis-CSI boards and to provide an effective load balancing.
Simple RTP Transcoding Configuration setup
Edit the /root/cfg config file:
connect rtp:10.0.1.2:10001:20001:g723 rtp:10.0.1.3:10002:20003:g729 connect rtp:10.0.1.2:10002:20002 rtp:10.0.1.3:10004:20004:g711a connect rtp:0.0.0.0:0:20005:g729 rtp:10.0.1.3:10006:20007:g711a
In this simple configuration the RTP voice packets are coming from 10.0.1.2:10001 locked codec G.723.1 to be transcoded to the G.729 and sent by the RTP to the host 10.0.1.3 to port 10002 from Alvis local port 20003. The second line differs by incoming codec auto-selection and transcoding to the G.711 a-law. The last line accepts incoming RTP connections from any IP:port on the port 20005 (codec G.729), transcodes it to the G.711 a-law and sends to the 10.0.1.3 to the port 10006 from the local port 20007
What are the Benefits of RTP Transcoding solution?
- Transcoding of voice data between any of G.711 (a-law, u-law) / G.711.1 / G.711.2, G.723, G.726, G.729, G.722 / G.722.1 / G.722.2 (AMR-WB) codecs.
- Optimized data processing using multi-core DaVinci™ architecture with offloading of all real-time operations on the powerful C64+ DSP core.
- DSP C64x+ powered built-in configurable jitter buffer of incoming RTP packets.
- No compatibility problems specific for PCI/PCI-Express systems.
- Real-time statistics for RTP sessions is available.
- Support for mixers, transcoders and multi-party conferences.
- Compactness of Alvis-CSI stand-alone unit increases cost-effectiveness of the business.
- Application gets RTP/UDP data yet after very easy setup.
- Low power consumption comparing with huge, noisy and expensive Rack servers.
- Complete system management over Ethernet.
- Easy and unlimited scalability: to get more E1/T1 lines just add more Alvis-CSI units.
- The solution is fully redundant and hot-swappable.